One of my favorite things to do is find new food products at the grocery store—it’s the nutritionist nerd in me. But I know from my own life and talking with friends and clients that preparing and cooking healthy meals day after day and night after night can be a difficult and daunting task. Between kids’ after-school activities, cleaning up around the house, answering a few more work emails, maybe sneaking in a workout if you’re lucky and trying to relax for a few hassle-free minutes, who has the time to cook a balanced dinner? That’s where these great shopping and prepping shortcuts come in.
- Whole Foods’ paleo cauliflower “rice” bowls + chicken sausage + sauce of choice (I like tamari or coconut aminos and toasted sesame oil)
- Veggie Noodle Company + turkey meatballs + shredded kale + tomato sauce
- Epic bone broth + rice, millet or kelp noodles + sauteed greens + frozen chicken meatballs
- Prepared rotisserie chicken + rice + kale chips
- Veggie burger or Praeger’s patties + salad + hard-boiled eggs
- Frozen cubed squash + sauteed broccoli raab + wild salmon (canned or fresh)
- Coconut milk + curry paste + veggie stir-fry of choice + protein
- Canned sardines or mackerel + salad
- Organic chicken nuggets + zucchini + baked sweet potato fries (homemade or frozen)
- 5-minute sprouted lentils + rice + frozen or sauteed veggies
- Siete almond or cassava/coconut wrap + organic tofu + cucumbers + avocado + Primal Kitchen mayo
What are your favorite quick recipes and simple staples? Let me know; it’s always great to share ideas!