This applesauce is simple, quick and super tasty. I like to cook it just long enough for the apples to become mushy but to retain as much of the nutritional value as possible, and to keep the chunkiness. When I make this ‘sauce, I don’t even have to blend the apples; it’s perfect as is.
Makes about 1 1/4 quarts
1 cup of water, or more as needed
Cinnamon and other spices (like nutmeg, ginger or cardamom) to taste
- Cut apples into small quarters. I like to leave the skins on for fiber, nutrients, texture and color.
- Cook apples in a medium-sized pot with water and spices over medium heat.
- Stir every 10 minutes or so, and cook for about an hour, or until apples are mushy but still somewhat chunky.
- Blend with a hand blender or cool and blend in a blender if smoother consistency is desired.
- Cool and enjoy plain or with your favorite dish, like latkes.