I’m currently on a gut-healing protocol that restricts many foods while the healing process is doing its thing, and sugar is one of the no-nos during this time…that includes natural sweeteners, like honey, maple syrup and stevia. So I’ve been on the hunt for naturally sweetened desserts that hit the (sweet) spot. These brownies nailed it! They’re dense and chewy, just sweet enough, and filled with protein and healthy fats, thanks to the almond butter and protein powder. They’re grain-, sugar-, dairy- and egg-free, but totally satisfying. You can even eat these for breakfast and feel good about it.
- 3 medium, overrripe bananas (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter (or any other desired nut or seed butter)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 scoops of protein powder (I use Vital Proteins’ collagen peptides. Avoid whey protein, as that can give a gummy texture)
- Preheat oven the 350 degrees F, grease a small cake or brownie pan.
- In a blender, blend ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into pieces.
Source: The Big Man’s World, thebigmansworld.com